Deer -1 Maui - 0

they prance through the night, blend in with shrubbery, and love to play chicken. you know what i am speaking of.. deer. aggressive, bold, wild and downright dirty, deer. i have never been an "animal person" i can practically see the germs crawling all over them. but i do remember once upon a time, seeing deer frolicking in the green backyard of my child hood home in Washington, and thinking "so beautiful..."

i am sorry to say times have changed, and after a deer attacked our poor honda pilot a few nights ago, i will NEVER be able to look at them the same again. i should start by saying; thank goodness maui was driving because had it been me, i would have managed to not only hit the deer, but definitely would have hit on coming trafic and then some. so, responsible driver maui, was behind the wheel, as we were headed home from looking at some houses in eagle mountain. he saw the deer, 2 to be exact, and slowed down to let them cross redwood road. one deer decided to stay at the side of the road and spook other cars while the other ventured into the middle of the road ( i can only assume to play that chicken game). maui was rolling along at about 10 miles per hour, and had veered off the to the side of the road (like the generous driver he is) to let the deer cross, when all of the sudden the deer jumped back at us, full of aggresion and wild behavior. after hitting our car, breaking our headlight, cracking the bumper, and the grill the deer ran off into the hills.

roxy and riley saw the whole thing, and needless to say, were devestated by the incident. very worried about the deer. when we got home they did not want to get out of the car, and roxy was convinced the deer was stuck to the car somehow. 1 day later roxy abruptly said "can we just stop talking about the deer?" clearly she would like to put this behind her.

i can't tell you how many times my mom has told us to be careful on that road ( the redwood road stretch between saratoga springs and bluffdale) i would mindlessly say "okay." she says this with good reason, as there are constantly dead deer on the side of this road, and they are frequently spotted in the hills. after 4.5 years in eagle mountain, it took us moving to so. jordan and re-visting e.m. to meet up with one of them deer. i do feel bad for the deer... but: deer, family, deer, family, deer, family, i chose family. and i am so thankful that we are all okay, and that the deer incident was not any worse.

Comments

Jill said…
I love how Roxy was like, ok get over the deer incident!! That is scary though, I hate those crazy animals. So unpredictable.
Steffani said…
THat's so scary! I can't believe the deer attacked you! It actually kind of made me laugh to picture it. I hope that's okay. But, how terrifying it would be to witness it! I would be screaming!
Melonee said…
I'm glad you guys are ok, how scary! Pretty freaky that the deer attacked you!
Maui said…
I really like this version of the incident.
gretchen said…
Wow! That crazy deer has some serious thrill issues. Glad you guys are okay. My kids would have been traumatized too.
Natée said…
I noticed Maui said he liked "this version" of the accident. What's the other one?

We totally had a deer run into us a few years back. It seriously came out of nowhere and slammed right into the side of our car and ran off, happy as can be. We couldn't get the door open. Those sneaky deer!

I'm happy to hear you are looking at homes in Eagle Mountain...
Cowan Family said…
Roxy is such a cutie! I'm glad you weren't driving I saw how good of a driver you were the other day ha ha j/k.
I would be mad that now I have to fix all those things on my car. I'm glad you guys are okay though. Any luck finding a house? I hope not I don't want you to move.

Popular posts from this blog

heaven on earth?

mi casa es su casa

Friday Night Lights